The Soldiers’ Monument was given to the town by Arthur G. Pollard, in memory of the 101 Plaistow men who served in the Civil War. The monument has a 14-foot high granite base with an 8-foot bronze soldier and is located on the spot which was once the center of the old dirt road which crossed the common. It was dedicated with appropriate exercises, held under the auspices of the Village Improvement Society on September 12, 1908. Planning is underway for a 100th anniversary celebration in 2008